Saturday, September 15, 2012

Cultural Daytrips: Sept 14 2012

At the wall of this building, it imaging that most building are fire by WWII
At the time of two o'clock in this afternoon, group of ten students plus four coordinators from KU Leuven, Faculty of Arts, have met each other at the Town Hall or central of Leuven city (or Oude Markt in Dutch language). We were asking to paring in group of two students. I have made a group with Ms. Janne, Belgian. Luckily and fortunately, Janne is the fourth year student in KU Leuven and she has already graduated; just waiting and see the result.Maybe she has made her BA as during trip she felt very happy and also she got many call and messages from her colleagues. I wish she can make it.
Our guide describing about History of Leuven City
          Starting from the Town Hall, our tourist guide has made very good presentations. It is very detail about history of Leuven city. However, I am not good at remembering thus I could remember very little. One thing I remember the most is KU Leuven University is the oldest Catholic university in the world or Europe. It has operated since the year 1425 until nowadays. Historically, Leuven city was so small; it diameter is about 850 meters but it was extended to 2.5 Kilometers. The inhabitants in Leuven is about 30.000 but students including local and international is around 46.000. As such, some give special name to Leuven as student city. Of course, it could somehow correct because KU Leuven University dictates many buildings spreading all over Leuven city. We find very often the building of KU Leuven.
S. Michael's Church, Naamesestraat 57
         At the end of our first cultural daytrip, we also made a debate about life in Leuven. There are some concerns were raised such as about too much night shops and bars, too much immigrants, cyclist endanger the other traffic too much. Students are allowed to give opinion they represented. Janne and I represent student interest; so, we, two of us, supported that there should be night shop and bars because we would have some class late so night shop could help us. Also, we disagree that cyclist endanger other traffic too much because we believe that all who riding bicycle are already well trained; so they would not create more trouble for society. More or less, it is a debate it has never been executed as we are students not politician.

         During trip I also have made a lot of photos and I want to share all of you. Here they are:


In front of Klooster Hotel, the most expensive hotel
Ancient gate that was not destroy during WWII
French Building for Faculty of Medicine but it was not used because there is a problem between Dutch and French speaker
The ancient wall of Leuven city with its tower behind me
@Fish market and Harbor; in here it usually was business transaction via ships
Sign prohibiting bike to not riding along this street
@Leuven Court
Inside small beer factory in Leuven
@class doing some debate
Janne and I am, 1st winner of cultural daytrip
Also, I am trying to come up with some videos. I am please to share all of you:



0 comments:

Blogger Template by Clairvo